10 Things To Do When You Are In A Funk...

07:48







As you all know I suffer with depression and there are days when it is easier to manage than others. Some days I can lead a normal life hanging out with friends, going to the gym but other days I have to use every last ounce of energy just to get out of bed. In the three years that I have suffered with depression I have learnt what works to help me feel that much happier and motivated. So here is a list (we all know how much I like lists) of things that make me feel that much better. If you ever feel in a funk try some of these I promise that they will leave you feeling that much more happier. 


1) Run yourself a hot bath, make sure there is some bubbles and some gorgeous smelling bath salts and light a candle or 5. I recommend french vanilla or clean cotton Yankee candles FYI. I either like to read a good book or magazine something that transports me to another place or I sometimes bring my IPOD and listen to some calming music. I usually come out feeling relaxed and stress free.
2) Exercise, this is probably the hardest thing to get myself to do. All I want is to be left alone whilst I lay in bed all day but I know getting my exercise will do all sorts of good. It is a known fact that exercise releases endorphins which make you happier. I know I have zero motivation to go for a run or to attend a full body pump workout but I know that I can muster up enough motivation to take a walk. Fresh air and nature= clearer mind.

3) Treat yourself, what better way than when we are feeling down to perk ourselves up with a treat. It doesn't have to be anything too expensive or it can whatever you want, it is your treat after all. It can be that handbag you are lusting over or a magazine or that dress. Treat yourself, you deserve it.

4) Put away your phone, laptop and any other device that allows you to access social media. Social media can sometimes make us feel worse than we actually do especially on those days when we don't have it all together. When we are feeling like we are being sucked into a black hole and we just want a good cry, the last thing we want is to see that person who is all put together.  

5) Watch Disney films, put on fresh pajamas, fluffy socks and bring your duvet downstairs. Life can be so overwhelming so it is nice to watch something that brings you back to your care free childhood and escape the world of being an adult for an hour or two.
6) Get out of bed, have a wash, put on comfy yet nice clothes and do your make up. Feeling fresh and clean makes you have some kind of extra pep in your step. It is easy to stay in bed with your pajamas on all day but that just ends up making you feel worse. I always feel a little more happier when I have made some sort of effort and I am not completely terrified by my appearance.

7) Buy real flowers, yes real flowers. My nan always has fresh flowers in her house and whenever I go there I instantly feel in a better mood. They just make everything happier and appreciative of nature. Flowers are pretty cheap to buy and providing you look after them can last a week or longer sometimes.

8) Ice cream makes everything better just saying. Go down to your local supermarket and buy as many flavours as possible, you'll thank me for this later. 

9) Get an early night or take a nap. Forget about being productive for a few hours and go and lye down in your comfy king size bed with soft sheets and just sleep. Sometimes having a few hours sleep where I can switch off my thoughts and dream about unicorns and rainbows makes me feel like a different person. 

10) Write down how you feel, holding in your emotions can be the worst thing. Dwelling in the sadness and depression makes everything 100x harder to deal with. Get a notebook (buy one of those fancy ones, you may be more incline to use it or is that just me) Sometimes it is just single words other times it is a paragraph but just getting what is going on in your brain out of your system works wonders. It helps me to realise why I am feeling this way and what I can do to help manage those feelings. Reading back on notes from months ago has made me realise how far I have come!

What makes you happy? What do you do to get you out of that funk? Please share in the comments.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. girl I LOVE these tips and they are so helpful! I have little anxiety spells, myself, and I love being able to relate to people and know I am not alone. Getting advice on what to do and how to handle it is always so great. So thoughtful of you to write it, it could really help someone who really needs it right now! :)
    xo, Candace | Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anxiety is so terrible, I suffer with bouts of it as my depression triggered it. It isn't to the extent that some people have it but it is still there niggling away.
      You definitely are not alone and I am here if you ever need to talk!

      Delete
  2. Yes to lists - always!! Seriously, a workout can completely clear my mind and leave me feeling so much happier and relieved. Treating yourself and getting to bed are two of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate working out but since being diagnosed with depression it has completely changed my mindset! Just a quick walk outside can completely change my perspective on things.
      Sometimes all we need on those days we are in a funk is our bed. Plus nothing gets me more excited than online shopping ha!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry about depression. I've never dealt with it seriously, but there are days I get so bummed out the world just looks grey! Sending you lots of love for those bad days, lady. You have a great list here and I agree about a workout for endorphins, treating yourself to something and getting the emotions out of your head! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lady I appreciate your sweet comments so much! Thankfully I am in a much better place and know how to deal with those not so good days.
      I agree we all get days when we are just in a funk and everything looks grey {are you using the British spelling;)} and we all need a little pick me up so hopefully some of these will help.
      I never knew how good a workout was until I was diagnosed with depression it really helps me stay sane and so does venting my emotions {a reason why my little blog exists}

      Delete

I love hearing from all my readers and following new blogs! If you have a question then don't be afraid to comment. I reply to all the comments that I get!
You can also contact me by email that you can find in my contacts page.